1 Jun 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Publication: Dutton Books (Penguin Group), 2009
Format: eBook, 225 pages
Source: eBook seller on Instagram
Genre: Young Adult
Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository


Synopsis:
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck... A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choice we all marked the ultimate choice Mia commands.


Review:

The cover and the synopsis do not tell us that the book was accompanied with music. And this is the one that
interests me, the book and characters are into music. ESPECIALLY THAT MY FAVORITE ARTISTS ARE MENTIONED ON THE BOOK
LIKE THE RAMONES!!!

I can relate to the characters genre because I used to love their kind of music except for Mia’s (the protagonist). I was into classical before but only to piano and not that how percentage I love punk or rock n’ roll. But somehow I still listen. I am not an instrument player; I am only a listener like Mia’s mom. “She looked like a cross between a 1930s siren and a biker chick, with her pixie haircut, her big blue eyes coated in kohl eyeliner, and her rail-thin body always ensconced in some sexy getup, like a lacy vintage camisole paired with skintight leather pants.” How the book describe Mia’s mom is definitely sexy and is the woman I adore. I rarely see a mother like this especially in our town and if ever I knew one, I would like her to be my adoptive mom (but I love you Ma.)
*Winks.*

Mia’s boyfriend, Adam, is aplomb as “cool in that he had his own rockery style, procured from thrift stores and garage sales, not from Urban Outfitters knock-offs.” Mia was lucky having Adam as her boyfriend. I admire his sincerity to Mia. I want to spoil but naaaah.


“Don’t you kids get too crazy. Bad injuries at the last Yo-Yo Ma mosh pit,” Mom called as we walked down the lawn.
“Your parents are so cool,” Adam said, opening the car door for me.

He is damn sure right! Mia’s parents are sangfroid.
Also, in this book, I have known (again) or realized that:
  • In books and movies, the stories always end when the two people finally have their romantic kiss. The happily-ever-after part is just assumed.
  • Non-Chinese people assume all Chinese can communicate with one another, even though Mandarin and Cantonese are actually different.
  • I hated my friend for making me betray a book I loved.
  • The words the musician writes to his or her music, they’re poetry.
  • I explode like a thunderstorm, and then am fine again.
  • “I was overwhelmed with gratitude to be friends with someone who often seemed to understand me better than I understood myself.”
  • Dying is easy. Living is hard.

And it’s while contemplating this that I think about what the nurse said. She’s running the show. And suddenly I
understand what Gramps was really asking Gran. He had listened to that nurse, too. He got it before I did.
If I stay. If I live. It’s up to me.

Over all, the mood while reading the book was fizzy and fun, like you were going to the circus full of music, hard or soft, warm or cold. I never wonder why this book was made to film. It’s worth to read and worth to watch soon. I hope everyone would read the book first before watching the movie. You still have your time for the movie premiere’s on August.



Post a Comment

© Litfae. Design by FP.