30 May 2014

Review: Every Day by David Levithan

Title: Every Day
Author: David Levithan
Publication: Published by Alfred A. Knopf, 2012
Format: eBook, 492 pages
Source: eBook seller on Instagram
Genre: Young Adult; Contemporary


Synopsis:
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

My thoughts:

Every Day was referred to me by a friend. She told me that I will love to read the book as much as she did. She ball up and told me that why the book was entitled Every Day. She is such a spoiler when it comes to the books she likes and have read, but on this book, she just spoil how she feels when she was reading it, so I expect I do the same.

I nod. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s this: We all want everything to be okay. We don’t even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough. 

But I did not, because on the first quarterly part, it disappointed me.  I am not telling that David Levithan is not a good writer. No. He has done so many books of his own and some are collaborations and they were good at his best especially The Lover’s Dictionary. But as I said, it has thwarted me. The first chapters deflower the beauty of the story has. The book borders on the preachy. The author has become more informative of how A feels, senses, sees, etc. I can tell that I have stopped reading it and read another. I went to my Goodreads shelves and tried to move Every Day from ‘current read’ to ‘unfinished’ but I gave it a chance. I read the reviews of the others and found there that some of them also dislike it because A was a mere parasite of his or her hosts. Besides all of the negatives I have scrolled, there is still light and that’s the positive outlook of others who do not want to embarrass Mr. David of his printed words. I gave myself a try to read it again but this time, skimming with the hankered paragraphs.

I want to ask Rhiannon what to do. But I can imagine what she’d say. Or maybe I’m just protecting my better self onto her. Because I know the answer: Self-preservation isn’t worth it if you can’t live with the self you’re preserving. 

I did not fail myself. I read the rest of the chapters whole afternoon until midnight. I am that eager to finish Every Day. The story was really great and also David did not fail me to fall in love with it. A was staggeringly in love with Rhiannon and will do everything he could to see her. Rhiannon was a bit off to me because she is just to martyr with Justin. If I were Rhiannon, I would not let him ruin my pretty face and delicate skin. *LOL.* Kidding.

I have learned a lesson on my reading habits because of this book and I want to thank David Levithan for making this magnificent piece of his imagination. The lesson I learned is that: be patient. Whatever books you read, you have to patiently read EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. Do not bring a story down. You also could lose a chance of living yourself into the book.

So I encourage you to read the book, guys! This is a worth reading. I gave it a review because I wanted to share what I have in mind with Every Day. Do you have something to share with? Share your thoughts below and I’ll be happy to reply every single comment!


Post a Comment

© Litfae. Design by FP.