30 May 2014

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green


Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Publication: 2006 by Penguin Group USA
Format: eBook, 256 pages
Source: Bought from eBook seller on Instagram
Genre: Young Adult
Goodreads / Amazon / The Book Depository

Synopsis:
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washedup child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.


My thoughts:

This has been published eight years ago and it's my first time to read it this summer with an eBook. The best with John Green is he never fails me to laugh with his words. This is the second book that I read from John Green's book. The first one was The Fault In Our Stars which I did not had a review on it because most people have read it. I am overflowed with the author's humor on this story. I can sense his a funny man.

Colin laughed, and Lindsey went on talking. "Getting people to like you is so easy, really. It's a wonder more people don't do it."
"It's not easy for me."

Colin, the main character, is somewhat have the aura I dislike with guys. He is into "mattering" himself with the Katherines that has been into his life. I bask the writings of John Green with Colin because I was like Colin in another way around.
"I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. Like getting TOC to date you doesn't fix the Alpo event. I don't think your missing pieces ever fit inside you again once they go missing. Like Katherine. That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created."

But as the story goes, I am into Lindsey, which is I am slowly loving Colin out of Lindsey's character. Lindsey is the girl I am looking forward to have as a friend because she did not even care at all of having a boyfriend that cheats.

Hassan, who is the very best friend of Colin, is what you would love to have as a best friend, for real. He is real funny and as he call himself non-doer, but after all, he has still a downfall heart. People would really seek for a friend like Hassan because if you would stumble a fight with him, *singing* you've got a friend.

Of most novel I've read, a mother is always in touch and really is a mother. You would expect a mother on stories that cares a lot for you and everything else what a mother does. But Hollis is different. She is like Thor which is mighty and I can for real imagine her on Thor's suit when she works. I like her as her character because she does not only care for her child but also for the people on their place. Oh, how I love to have her at home.

If I had not read AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES I would never have known that:

1) Fetor hepaticus (my favorite) is a symptom of late-stage liver failure where your breath literally smells like a rotting corpse.

2) There is absolutely no scientific proof that drinking eight glasses of water a day will improve your health.

3) Dingleberries can be anagrammed into see inbred girl; lie breeds grin; leering debris; greed be nil, sir; be idle re. rings; ringside rebel; and residing rebel.

4) Nikola Tesla did a lot for electricity before Thomas Edison came along and stole some of his ideas, and he also loved pigeons.

5) I still suck at math.


Seriously though, if you have not read this one, you probably should! I did not gave up on reading this even though I found Colin boring at first. But as you read every single words and spaces and especially the footnotes! Oh how adorable the footnotes are!






P.S.: I skimmed the appendix. Note for the readers: You gotta love math before reading the appendix but it's worth reading though!

2 comments

  1. Ok hmm.. I bought this book as i had read almost all of the books written by john green and all of them were exceptional ,beautiful and everythin about teenage life .. so i had high expectations with this one too but its not as good as his other written , its good but not great
    But its good for Light Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I only have read TFIOS and this from John Green. TFIOS is better than AAOK but AAOK is much more humorous than TFIOS. :)

      Delete

© Litfae. Design by FP.