26 Oct 2015

Audiobook Review: Reawakened

Publication: August 11th 2015 by Listening Library
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Format: Audiobook
Add this on: Goodreads

Lilliana Young has been the dutiful daughter of wealthy parents, living her life in a careful little box- that is, until she's inadvertently involved in the reawakening of an Egyptian mummy. Now a very confused Lilliana has been dragged into his quest, with the fate of the world as she knows it at stake.

I'm really hoping that, some day soon, I'll be able to post on this blog with a gushing review about how much I loved a book. But, sadly, that didn't happen here.

I'm wondering if maybe this book wasn't ideal as an audiobook, though the narrator wasn't terrible. Possibly the way this story moved wasn't ideal for audio? I made a lot of remarks on My Goodreads as a listened to it... There were times when this was a bit of a struggle for me to get through. The language perhaps isn't ideal for an audiobook- it was a bit dense for a spoken medium.

So listening to this as an audiobook may have impacted my experience a lot, but I also had a hard time with the plot. It was slow. There wasn't quite a flow to it, and I found myself questioning some narrative decisions. Some of it didn't quite mesh with my knowledge of Ancient Egyptian customs (though, admittedly, I am not a professor of Egyptology, just a person who spent a great deal of her childhood reading about it). Despite having never been to Egypt, even I could tell that the portrayal of Egyptian culture (both modern and ancient) is way off.

The biggest weakness in this novel was the amount of info-dumping that happened. The sharing of information was constant and obtuse, something made more obvious by the audiobook- the explanations went on for minutes at a time sometimes. This constant informing diverted from the plot, rather than explaining what was going on. No part of this story really seems to grow naturally.

I didn't particularly enjoy the characters, for the most part. They didn't feel like people to me... The info-dumping extended to the characters and their personalities. To give a character a personality trait, you can't just say they have that trait, you have to show it was well.

The romance was actually unpleasant for me to sit through. It was a lot of things that I don't like in a romance. For one thing he literally mind-controls her at one point, and threatens her, which is kind of downright creepy. (No "kind of" about it. I as creeped out.) For another I can't tell why they value each other except that they keep telling us they do. For a third, they're just boring together. Totally, completely uninteresting. I felt zero emotion for them, separately or together.

Overall, I don't think that I would recommend this, and I definitely wouldn't recommend the audiobook. It isn't my type of storytelling, and it definitely isn't the type of storytelling to work in the medium of an audiobook.

P.S. And worms are still not insects.

author image

Kelly

I'm a reader and reviewer from Ontario, Canada, which mean that sometimes library trips take place place through a foot or so of snow. I'm going into my third year of university, studying Environmental Sciences, which I juggle with my almost constant reading. I've been blogging at at my own blog since 2012, and I'll be helping Yani out here on Paper Boulevard as a co-blogger.

9 comments

  1. Yeah, this one sounds like it has a lot of the same negatives I've disliked from her other books so I think I will be avoiding it. The info dumping really brought Tiger's Curse down for me and I don't think I could take another entire series of it with her new release. Nice review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty sure this will be my only foray into Colleen Houck's writing, since it really does sound like none of the problems with it are restricted to this book.

      Delete
  2. I was hoping this one would be better than her other books which I did not like. The story sounded interesting and the cover is gorgeous. Too bad.

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is beautiful, unfortunately the contents really didn't live up to it for me. (Not sure what's worse: great book with terrible cover or terrible book with great cover. Thoughts?)

      Delete
    2. Ha! Terrible book is worse. You can get over pretty fast with a terrible cover but suffering hours of reading a terrible book? Ouch.

      Delete
  3. I haven't red anything by Colleen Houck but i did have her on my list as one of the authors I wanted to defnitely check out. It sucks that this one unfortunately didn't impressed you and ended up falling flat. Hopefully your next read is more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't all be favourites, I suppose... I've heard mixed things about her other books, but they really don't sound like they'd me for me. If you do check out her work, let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. A while ago I read Colleen Houck's Tiger Curse series, which I did enjoy, although now I wonder if I reread them, I'd find them as boring as I found Reawakened. It was a big letdown for me as well and for the same reasons. -I think you'd have found the book in text is just as bland, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

© Litfae. Design by FP.